|Area News | Home | Marketplace | Community|
|Paynesville Press - December 27, 2006|
Assembly Grounds gets new name
The Lake Koronis Assembly Grounds - which celebrated its 85th anniversary this summer - has taken a new name, Koronis Ministries. |
Due to confusion with the Assembly of God denomination, a new image for the camp was introduced by board chairman Doug Spong, and the new name of Koronis Ministries was chosen.
The mission of the facility remains the same: "to provide facilities and programs for camps, conferences, and retreats of a Christian nature so that within this setting of natural beauty people have an opportunity for refreshment, recreation, and renewal.
The camp, which now owns nearly 200 acres of land on Lake Koronis, was founded in 1921 by the Minnesota Evangelical Church with the purchase of 14 acres for $1,400. Through church mergers, the camp is now affiliated with the United Methodist Church but is open for use by all denominations. In addition to its chapel, tabernacle, domitories, cabins, and kitchen on the lakeside of Co. Rd. 181, Koronis Ministries operates a cabin camp for youth and a campground on the west side of the road.
Typically, visitors spend over 20,000 days at the camp each year.
Contact the author at email@example.com Return to News Menu