Who qualifies for the state tax rebate?

This article submitted by Aaron Ziemer on 6/16/99.

Starting August 1, the state will be sending out the first of its checks for the sales tax rebate.

However, some people in Minnesota will not be receiving the tax rebate, because the state does not have the proper paper work from those individuals.

In order to qualify for the State Sales Tax Rebate, taxpayers must have filed either a 1997 state income tax and had an income tax liability of at least one dollar, and was not claimed as someone else's dependent on the 1997 federal income tax return.

The other way to receive the tax rebate was to have filed for or received the 1997 property tax rebate.

For people that have not done either of these, there was another way to qualify for the tax rebate. Minnesotans could have filed either of those forms up until yesterday, June 15, to receive the tax rebate.

If people have not filed these forms they will miss out on both tax rebates this year.

The three main qualifications that must be met in order to receive the tax rebate are as follows:

1. Not be claimed as a dependent on someone else's 1997 federal tax return.

2. You must have been a full-or-part-year resident of Minnesota during 1997.

3. You must have paid rent in 1997 on your principal place of residence and received a certificate of rent paid from your landlord, or paid 1997 property taxes on your homestead.

The minimum rebate for anyone who qualifies is $204, and the maximum is $5,000.

Unfortunately, since the June 15 deadline has already past there is not much that can be done to receive the rebate this year, but as long as there is a surplus again next year we may have another rebate next year as well.

Return to Archives